Are you interested in exploring conservation detection dogs for an upcoming project? We would love to be involved!
The first step is filling out an initial interest form, then we can schedule an exploratory call to discuss timelines, study goals, and funding. Scroll down to see some of the common questions we'll address during our exploratory phone call.
- What study methods have you or others have tried in the past, if any? What were the challenges or successes with them?
- What is the goal of the project specifically? For example, is the goal to find EVERY invasive plant, or a sampling of scats to try and look at specific lifestyle information, or any other specifics?
- How large of an area are you hoping to survey? What other environmental factors may play into the fieldwork?
- Do you have access to samples to start training the dogs with?
- What funding options do you plan on pursuing?
- If your target species is relatively rare, are there any other scats we could train the dogs to find as well that may be useful and help keep the dog’s motivation high? This strategy can also help open up additional funding by finding partnerships!