In this episode of K9 Conservationists, Kayla discusses the ins and outs of becoming a K9 Conservationist!
Episode suggestion: It’s okay to not finish a book if you aren’t liking it.
Call to action: Check out our new merch!!
Suggested by Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, create a 3-way Venn diagram of how to get involved.
- Top circle is “what you love.”
- Circle off to the left of what you’re good at
- Lastly, a circle to the right of what the world needs.
- In the center could be some ways you can help save the planet, save some dogs, or be a k9 conservationist.
Smaller ways to help:
- Be a more eco friendly dog owner by supporting local, reducing your carbon footprint during travel, etc.
- Volunteer with organizations that protect the land or start your own
Getting in the field of conservation detection:
- Your first 2 steps no matter what are similar if you want to be a handler: learn scentwork/handling/dog behavior and familiarize yourself with field biology and survey techniques
- Volunteer to start to see if its something you’d be interested in
- Grad school is one option
- Getting hired with a bigger organization is another
- Working Dogs for Conservation
- Rogue Detection Teams
- Science Dogs of New England
- Conservation Dogs Collective
- WEST Inc
- Summer gigs for wind and solar farms
- You get hired with your dog
- Other abroad organizations
- Taking courses in person and online, such as Fenzi Dog Sport Academy for Nosework, Rogue Detection Teams, Conservation K9 Consultancy in Australia
- K9 Conservationist podcast and patreon
Being a handler isn’t your only option, and it’s not for everyone. Other ways to get involved:
- Volunteer with us: course creation, social media, website maintenance – you probably have a skill we need!
- Work in another role like fundraising at another organization
- Biologists can hire us
- Shelter workers can help us find other dogs
- Donations, of course
- Get involved in your local community with the shelter, trail building, PlayCleanGo, wildlife rehab, or just pick up some extra dog poo bags.
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
- Seeking Wisdom Podcast
- How to Save a Planet Episode
- Check Instagram for our Venn Diagrams and tag us!
- List of international conservation detection dog organizations (incomplete)
- Australian: Skylos and Detection Dogs for Conservation with the University of the Sunshine Coast and Padfoot
- UK: Conservation K9 Consultancy
- New Zealand: Conservation Dogs New Zealand
- K9 Conservationist Episode 001
- Rewildology episode with Brooke
You can support the K9 Conservationists Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/k9conservationists.