In this episode of K9 Conservationists, Kayla Fratt talks about off-leash etiquette in order to keep your dogs, yourself, others, and the environment safe.
Discussed in this Podcast:
- Off leash is a privilege and owners carry a responsibility when utilizing that privilege
- Ensure your dog has solid recall, especially around distractions
- Look for signage; follow the law – if the trail or area is on leash, there’s a reason for it
- When you arrive at a trail, observe your surroundings
- Are there lots of cars indicating lots of people? Do the cars have bike racks? If so, is your dog reliable around bikes?
- When in doubt, use a long line
- Not only do you have to think about the safety of other people and dogs, you also have to think about the environment
- Your dog should not chase any wildlife; even if they don’t catch it, that is undue stress on wildlife
- Do research on what animals live in the environment you’re in to ensure yours and the wildlife’s safety
Links Mentioned in the Episode: None
You can support the K9 Conservationists Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/k9conservationists.